WHAT: Affordable school presentations on art, literacy and technology by a young artist who connects with kids. Interactive presentations link to the language arts, social studies, and STEAM curricula.
WHO: Jeff Weatherford is an award-winning children’s book illustrator, spoken word poet/performer, digital designer, born doodler and former game reviewer. He earned his Master of Fine Arts from Howard University, where he was a Romare Bearden scholar.
HOW: During school visits, he:
- Shares his books, art and background as a doodler and designer
- Tells how digital technology is used to create art, poetry and books
- Enlists students’ help to draw caricatures
- Conducts workshops on primary source images, fine art, digital art, design, and hip hop/spoken word poetry
- Leads exercises to turn reluctant writers into prolific reviewers.