Dear Mr. Rosenwald, Ill. by C. Gregory Christie
A series of poems in the voice of a fictional narrator tell how sharecroppers build a school in the 1920s. SCBWI Golden Kite Honor
Themes: sharecropping, segregation, Rosenwald schools, Booker T. Washington
- Write poems in the voices of sharecroppers or Rosenwald School students.
- Write a thank-you letter or poem.
- Write a dialogue between Mr. Rosenwald and Booker T. Washington.
- Find average incomes and product prices from the 1920s. Design a floor plan for a dream school or home. Make rock candy.
- Host an open mic where students read poems from the book, as well as original poems related to themes in the book.
- Send home bookmark/discussion guide for families.
- Do a WebQuest: www.loc.gov/exhibits/brown; www.kansasheritage.com; www.nps.rov/bowa/index.htm; www.rosenwaldschools.com.