I, Matthew Henson: Polar Explorer, Ill. by Eric Velasquez
Thrilling verse biography culminating with the 1909 North Pole expedition.
- Write a diary in the voice of Henson, Peary, an Inuit guide, or Kokoyah.
- Draw Kokoyah. What superpowers does he have?
- Discuss whether the explorers believed in Kokoyah.
- Have teams calculate/research distances and supply needs for such an expedition.
- Study the polar region’s climate and wildlife, especially endangered species.
- Read about the rest of Henson’s life.
- Write a recipe for a frozen treat honoring Henson or commemorating the expedition.
- Stage a readers theater based on the book.
- Create a gallery of Inuit-inspired art.
- Present posters about endangered polar animals.