A fictional ten-year-old narrator witnesses a seminal event in the Civil Rights Movement. Lee Bennett Hopkins Poetry Award, Jefferson Cup, Jane Addams Children’s Literature Honor
Themes: segregation, civil rights movement, hate violence
Primary sources: Birmingham Public Library
- Sing or write protest songs.
- Create a Civil Rights Wall of Fame.
- Write acrostics with “freedom.”
- Order a free DVD: The Children’s March or Mighty Times: The Legacy of Rosa Parks from teachingtolerance.org.
- Do a WebQuest: www.thekingcenter.org; www.pbs.org/wnet/jimcrow.
- Write autobiographical poems after “In Memoriam.”
- Send home bookmark/discussion guide for families.
- Invite elders to share memories of the segregation or civil rights eras.
- Present a choral reading of the poem, incorporating the hymns and spirituals mentioned in the text.